Saturday, February 23, 2008

Back at it

So over the past two months Ive been trying to readjust to this "american" lifestyle.*

Right.

Actually I think Ive been avoiding reengaging in the "real" world. (Im enjoying my quotations today). You know, the whole going away for a semester. Living a life of no real obligations other than school. Hanging out with friends. Making new friends. Living in Spain. Traveling. Growing. Changing (and yes, in relation to an earlier post, I think I did change). Learning.

Making memories.

And now my task is to try and take everything Ive learned and use/incorporate it into my life in Grand Rapids, MI. Daunting. And not quite as easy as I assumed when I left Spain. Especially when you return to this:**

And so far all I have been able to accomplish is rediscovering how to study. Cuz, Lord knows, I did barely none of that in Spain. At least not the sit down and memorize/look over notes kind. The studying in Spain was more.....well it was more like living. So now that I have rediscovered how to study, evidenced by my four hours of said activity today in the anatomy lab, maybe Ill have some more time to figure out what it means to not enjoy the fast past of american lifestyle, and yet be part of this culture.

How to I incorporate "siesta" into this? Anyone have an answer to that?
Granted I have incorporated it. But Ive had time. Once I buscar a job thats going to become slightly more difficult. So what do I do? Live my life the way I think I should, with some time aside each day, to pray/nap/journal/do whatever it is you feel like doing that day, or do I give that up so I can make more money more quickly?

So, theres one of many questions I have now that I have time to sit down and look back over India, last spring semester and summer (with all that entails, including Washington), and Spain, Morroco, and Portugal. Ive grown, thats for sure. And Ive changed. And my desires have changed. My view on God has changed. My relationship with him has changed. I am honestly a new person....and all I have to show for it is a rediscovery of how to study.
!Que frustrando!

*Ok, so I didnt mean I havent had to switch back over to the "american" lifestyle. I have had to, and am still trying to. Its been waaaaay harder than I thought it would be. Leslie, the director in Spain, said that those looking forward to getting back to the US most will most likely end up missing Spain the most. Case in point: Me. I think when you "look forward" to getting back somehwere as much as I did, you begin to idolize it in a way. Makes getting back a bit dissapointing. Woops. Anyway, that to say I miss Spain and the lifestyle. Its true.

**Thats a month straight of no sun. 30 days. No, thats not a mistype. 30 freaking days of clouds, snow, and blizzards. And my car has no heat. Daaaammmmnnnn thats cold. Not to mention depressing.



No comments: